Thursday, July 14, 2016

Cannonball - Day 9

July 13th, 2016

Livingston, MT to Hamilton, MT (290 Miles)


It was a cold morning once again.  I saw postings of both 48 and 50 degrees depending on the source.  We didn't get rain last night, and the sky this morning was really incredible.


I am still without sufficient cold weather gear, so I ended up with 1 short sleeve and 2 long sleeve t-shirts with my rain jacket over the top.  I figured the rain jacket would at least block the wind better than the mesh armor I have been wearing.  One good thing is that the scooter blocks most of the wind off the legs, so I opted not to wear my rain gators for leg protection.  It worked.

Before I go too much further, Frank's friend Dennis from Helena met us last night and would follow us to Hamilton today.  So all the non-essential baggage went into his car.  Maybe the scoots would do better without the extra dirty laundry weight.  I'm still in 13th place so I can't say if there were any real gains, or just imaginary.  Either way, the lighter scoot handled better.  Thanks Dennis!

And we're off!  The dark clouds in the morning have been pretty standard.  Plans are to stay just north of the morning storms.


While I had passed Frank, Mike, and Steve earlier in the morning, I found them ahead of me in Bozeman (maybe Franks keen path-finding abilities are starting to show.)  I took this opportunity to shoot a picture of Steve...


...and one of Mike (the picture of Frank didn't come out)


Montana Clouds amaze me.  Want to see about 100 cloud pictures from today?


The downhill slope into Virginia City, MT


Virginia City, MT is all old west decor on the main strip.


... with a rail museum which included this "old barn looking" train car


And more clouds



With some more really neat downhill stretches


We finished off with dinner at The Edge with several other riders.  Both the food and the company were excellent.


Two things of note today.  
     #1 Prairie dogs.  Jerks.
     #2 Lots of bicyclists.  Have you seen these hill I have been showing you?

And that's it for today.

Here is the Altitude and maps pictures




Tomorrow, off to Walla Walla Washington.  I'm sure Wikipedia has something on this towns name.

No comments:

Post a Comment