Friday, July 15, 2016

Cannonball - Day 10

July 14th, 2016

Hamilton, MT to Walla Walla, WA (280 Miles)


Today we left Montana, then drove through Idaho, and into Walla Walla, WA

Right as I was turning on Highway 12 into the Nez Perce-Clearwater National Forest, my Sena locked up.  I knew there was a reset button the back which meant stopping, finding something like a paperclip (I didn't pack that tool) and doing a reset.  Time being what it was, I pressed on.

... and couldn't stand it so stopped at checkpoint 2, dug through my bag o'stuff, stripped the plastic off a twist tie and presto, Sena operating again.

The downside is that Highway 12 was specatacular.  Unlike Montana with big open Sky.  This was craggy rock and deep dark forest with twisty roads.  If you ever get the chance, drive it.  Sorry, no pictures.


There was still some forest past checkpoint 2



With a stroll along the river


and into eastern Washington.  Boy what a difference.




After arriving at the final check point, I went with Bill, Walt, and Bob (the current leaders) into Oregon to eat at Wee Bit O' Heather's Restaurant.  This place has been open and family run for 30 years.  I'm pretty sure the Grandma cooked the food, the Mom served us, and the daughter (about 8 years old) was setting the tables.  Good food and very friendly people.

Mike and I were able to get the laundry done before heading to dinner at the Smith's Family Restaurant in Walla Walla.  We has about 25 people there and that poor waitress was slammed due to our unexpected party.  She did a great job despite the odds and ornery clients.

And that's it for Day 9.  Here is the obligatory elevation chart and map



Tomorrow, Mukilteo, WA and the final day of the Cannonball

No comments:

Post a Comment