Saturday, July 16, 2016

Cannonball - Day 11 (Final)

July 15th, 2016

Walla Walla, WA to Mukilteo, WA (332 Miles)


The last day of the Cannonball is a little exciting.  The 7am riders meeting is bumped to 6am as I guess most people want to get on the road early.

Frank and I took off together.  I started having top speed issues in any uphill and headwind areas.  Frank was pulling away from me and I didn't want to hold him back.  Besides, he NEEDS to come in first (out of the Helix team) on at least one day.  In the end, he even made it in before Bob.

Mike and Steve left earlier than us, but Mike had a oil line fracture right at checkpoint 1.  Good thing this happened in a small farming town.  Mike removed the oil line, and Steve took it to a local farm implement shop and asked to borrow the welder.  Steve came back with a perfectly brazed line.  Two things.  First, small town people can be the nicest ever.  And second, who knew Steve could weld so good?

It cost two hours, but they were able to make the repair and get back onto the road.

Here are a few of today's pictures: 

After leaving Walla Walla


Lyons Ferry area


Rock Island Dam - Columbia River


Starting into the Okanogan-Wenatchee National Forest


The mountains were incredible


Don't go into the light!


... and finally the drive into Mukilteo - I got caught in ferry traffic and forgot to turn the video back on.  I was only 100 yards from the finish and stuck.  


And the end...


Congratulations were passed around and everyone turned in their final numba's (damn Matt and that accent).  And we were done.  The end of a Cannonball seems a bit subdued.  I think everyone is just beat.  I've made some good friends and met some great people.

As a side note, I got to spend some real quality time with my dad.  Did I mention that Mike was my dad?  Probably not.  The Smith aren't a real touchy feely bunch, but I can't recommend doing something like this strongly enough if you get the chance.  As we get older, these opportunities become fewer and fewer.  Do yourself a favor.  If you are able, go call a loved one right now.  It's worth it.

After hugging it out for a while, most of the Connonballers headed off to the hotel, but a few of us hung around waiting for Mike, Steve and the SOD boys. 

They came in with a bang (and a few other local riders from their chapter riding along in support)



We ended the night with the Cannonballers and SOD guys at Cask & Trotter, with the celebration sponsored by Elysian Brewing Company.  It was a good ending.

As of this writing, the final standings have not been published.  As of day 10, I was in 11th place.

My goals had changed as this ride went on.  At first, I just wanted to finish with me and the scoot in one piece across the finish line.  Then I really wanted to be in the top 50%.  Then feeling competitive, realized if I could get in the top 10, I would be a rock star in my own mind.  I know it's not a race, but maybe it is just a little.

And the final Cannonball Map


There is still a few days left of this trip to ride back to Arkansas.  I'll continue this blog until the end.  Thanks for following!

No comments:

Post a Comment