Monday, July 11, 2016

Cannonball - Day 6

July 10th 2016

Lincoln, NE to Valentine, NE (310 Miles)


It was a short ride today.  I left the hotel checkpoint at 7:13 and arrived at the final checkpoint at 12:24.  While I am not pegging out the scoot, I am riding a little faster than about half of the Helixes (what is the plural of Helix?).  Consistency is key.

The roads today were similar to yesterday in Kansas.  Not much in the way of change or twisties.  Shoot, even Frank couldn't get lost.

No video today as straight roads just arn't that fun to watch a recording of, but I took a few pictures.


If you look close, you can see my gator hood ornament.  Is this really what I am thinking about now?  Kansas must have had more of an effect than I thought.




Green and straight ... ahh Nebraska




More Korn!




I took a selfie at checkpoint 2 which marks the official halfway point of the cannonball.  See me smiling?  Don't I look happy?



Getting closer to Valentine and the Sand Hills area.



As mentioned earlier, we finished off early today in the Sand Hills area.  I took a quick nap in the hotel lobby while waiting on Frank, Mike, and Steve.  Boy those chairs were comfortable.

Once the others arrived, we unloaded the baggage into the room.  This early stop was the perfect time for us do the midway oil change.  The problem with the Sand Hills area is ... guess what ... sand.  With the afternoon wind blowing everything around we had a little challenge of not making any messes in the hotel parking lot or getting sand into anything important.  We were successful.  

I did end up with more valve stem issues.  Those balancing bead for the tires work wonders, but seem to be getting hung up and causing the stems to leak when I check the tire pressure.  All fixed now, but it did provide me this wonderful picture.  Mike kept looking in the stem for bead blockages.  All he kept seeing was Steve.



While heading over for dinner at the Peppermill, We see one of the casualties of the Cannonball.  Bob (BigKart) had a few flashing lights behind him.  I understand that he had to ride for a little longer than he should have with the police behind him so he could shoot a picture of the hotel for his final check in.  Sorry Bob, the rules say you have to be in the hotel parking lot.  Of course, it's even worse when you have a dozen Cannonballers standing in frond to the restaurant about 100 feel away cheering on the traffic stop.  I'm sure the office was wondering why all these "kind law abiding citizens" were cheering and taking pictures of Bob.  He got off with a warning.



This day is in the books


Tomorrow, South Dakota into Wyoming.


No comments:

Post a Comment